Monday, September 9, 2013

Suamgol (수암골) Village in Cheongju

I spent the weekend visiting some friends of mine in Cheongju, which is about a two hour drive from my home in Bucheon.  Micah and Michelle are headed back to the states, which is really good for them, and really bad for us here in Korea.  They've become very close friends of mine and I know we'll be friends for life.  I understand their situation, but inside I'm throwing a pity party.  

So my new friend and I went down to Cheongju on Saturday, which was a first for a couple of different reasons.  Big news here folks....I got to drive a car in Korea for the first time!  It had been almost seven months since I drove a car, so this was a bit of a big deal for me. Luckily for me, Jennifer was feeling tired so she asked her copilot to step in and take over.  

When we got there on Saturday, we had a chance to visit Suamgol Village.  It was previously a very rundown neighborhood which was surely destined for being replaced by an updated apartment building.  But some artists stepped in and provided a way for the neighborhood to attract some attention and more importantly, preservation.  
















 
The view of Cheongju from Suamgol

Overall, it was a great weekend.  It was my first road trip with Jennifer.  I got to spend some good time with Micah and Michelle before they abandon me.  I got to catch up with my good friends Deborah and Cathal.  The weather was terrific.  We had a trip to the noraebang.  And did I mention I got to drive?!?  

No comments:

Post a Comment