Friday, April 12, 2013

Long days and busy weekends

I don't have a lot to post, but it has been two weeks since I updated the blog and I know an email from my mother requesting an update is imminent so here I am.


The school that I work for has two-month terms and I'm only two weeks away from finishing my first term with them.  My schedule will change every term, depending on need, but this term I've been starting at 10am and finishing at 9:30pm.  I have a huge break in the middle of the day, but my late classes prevent me from being able to do anything social during the week.  My last few weekends haven't been as adventurous as the first bunch when I arrived in Korea.  I guess that means I'm really starting to settle in.

The best part of our training weekend

Two weeks ago all the teachers that work for my school (40 locations around Korea) all gathered in the countryside for a training weekend.  It was fun to meet people from all over Korea, and of course great to see the group from my orientation.  Last weekend was mostly spent studying Korean.  This is a really hard language to learn.  I've picked up little bits and pieces here and there, but I've mostly been focusing on my pronunciation and ability to read Hangul (The Korean alphabet).  I now have the ability to read, albeit slowly, and just need to work on understanding what it is that I'm reading.  I do know how to order a green tea latte though!  

My office 

A few streets over, on a quiet Saturday morning

My apartment building, I'm on floor 12 of 15

In the park across the street

Also in the park.  Wish I knew what this said

Spring time is now officially here.  People kept telling me it was already springtime, but they were telling me that while we were bundled up in 30 degree weather so I didn't believe them.  But now we're getting cool mornings and nights, with awesome 60 degree afternoons.  The cherry blossoms are gorgeous to look at all over the park.  I'm lucky to live right across the street from a large park, so I get plenty of time to hang out outdoors during my daily 4-hour break from class in the afternoon.  A sore knee is preventing me from getting out and hiking this weekend, but it will be a priority for me in the coming weeks.  Hopefully after that I'll have more to talk about and more interesting pictures to share.  Now to go enjoy some 맥주 and 소주.


1 comment: