Wednesday, April 17, 2013

KBL Finals and Attack Birds

Last weekend I really needed to get some rest.  I didn't.  

Samgyeopsal (삼겹살) - Korean BBQ is simply amazing

American pitchers just seem small now

Yes, we were many soju (소주) bottles into the night
Look closely you'll see what it did to one of Ireland's finest

And this was just my Friday night.  It is crazy how meeting up for dinner can turn into a cab ride home at 3am and wondering why you ordered that last round (last two rounds) (ok, last three).  I met some friends in Mokdong and we had a great time.  It mainly consisted of eating a lot of Korean food, despite what the pictures may show.  I could probably eat Korean BBQ 4 nights a week.  Before I got here I read numerous reports that it was the favorite Korean food of many westerners, but I guess I had to have it myself to really understand.  

On Saturday, after sleeping until 11am, I met my friend, Micah, for Game 1 of the Korean Basketball League finals in Jamsil, which is part of Seoul.  One of his students had given him some 'VIP tickets'.  In Korea, VIP doesn't always mean something special, so I didn't know what to expect.  However, we were straight up VIP!  As we were handing our tickets to the cute girl at the gate, she looked at us and said in just about perfect English, "Wow, these are good seats!"  We found our way to the front row on the baseline and enjoyed watching the SK Knights and Ulsan Mobis play quite an entertaining game.  SK was up nearly the entire game before Mobis made a huge comeback in the fourth quarter, taking their first lead with 1:30 left in the game, and holding on to win Game 1.  

Tipoff

Korean cheerleaders!!!

Itaewon (aka foreigner central)

Enjoying some mojitos with my crew after the game

On Sunday I spent the day with some students exploring parts of Korea I'd never seen.  Another teacher, David, and I joined our students Nicole, Kelly, Victoria and Jen and went to visit a couple of islands off the coast of Incheon.  We saw both Daebu Island and Jebu Island.  It was pretty cold and windy so getting in the water was out of the question, but we were able to cover a lot of ground and see a lot.  We also ate some pretty good seafood.  Yes, you read that correctly...I ate seafood and I liked it.  At first, I was just trying to be polite and eat what was offered to me. But then I liked one of the dishes quite a bit.  I sure do wish I could remember what it was!  I'll have to check with my students so that if I'm ever eating seafood again I can just order that dish. 

My first view of the Yellow Sea 

The beach on Daebu Island

Jebu Island waters

Being attacked by seagulls on Jebu Island

About 5 feet above my head

My island hopping crew


Overall, it was a great weekend.  Of course, I was pretty busy so I didn't get much rest at all.  I've been exhausted this week so far, but I only have a day and a half left teaching before I get another weekend.  We only have next week until the end of our first term, and we'll have a 5-day break before the next term starts.  I think a weekend of relax and just studying some Korean is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment